February 14, 2018
Last Saturday we held our first Congregational Council meeting of 2018. The annual Leadership Retreat was delayed until March 10. This decision allowed us to come together as a new Council before planning for the future.
Voted into Council at our January Annual Meeting, members are: Debbie Baden, Madeline Beery, Karen Clark, Jane Dunkel, Elizabeth Gordon, Katherine Guthrie, Courtney Hashimoto, Lori Kaid, Mike Pierson, Kyna Shilling and Bing Tso. We are also joined by our ministers, Rev Kelle Brown and Rev Steve Davis.
Plymouth – You are well represented! As the minutes are being written, below are some “moments of discussion” I captured. It was a lively, engaged and energized meeting bringing great dialogue and discussion about this place we all love.
· How do we make sure this meeting comes from Faith? We need to understand our differences and what we share in common.
· There is mystery surrounding Council and other lay leadership. Some have asked, “How does one get on Council?” Others on Council heard, “Oh, you are the boss” and, “Now you can solve our problems.” And we wonder – how can we be more transparent?
· How do we ensure effective communication to ALL interested parties of Plymouth, utilizing the Herald, bulletin boards, social media, website and other mediums?
· Adjustments to our website presence – better information organization. Is our purpose to speak inwardly (members) or outwardly (those interested in Plymouth)?
· Understanding our history; planning for our future – appreciating where we came from, recognizing our story, challenging our assumptions and exploring new ways to do things.
We squeezed in other “official” church business including discussion about our Prison/Jail Ministry, the SimpleChurch mobile application, Wanda Griffiths as official Plymouth staff, encouraging Plymouth congregation to attend the Undoing Racism Workshop and determining the status of the HR Employee Manual.
But it was our broader discussion as a new team that I found engaging and enlightening. What a great group of people, working together through God’s grace. Plymouth, this is an exciting time. I think I speak for everyone on Council when I say we are honored to represent you, serve this congregation and help us move into the future.
The Leadership Retreat is rescheduled for March 10, at Plymouth. We enjoyed a great discussion about the upcoming retreat. Everyone in a lay leadership position is invited, and anyone in our Plymouth community is also welcome.
Our plan this year is to bring the Action Plan back into the conversation and think about plans for 2018, the next two to three years and the next five years. This is a great opportunity to acknowledge our focus as a community now and into the future, walk in Faith and be guided by God. Thanks be to God.
Plymouth Church UCC stands with you in responding to the coronavirus. Our BUILDING IS CLOSED in keeping with the "STAY AT HOME" order of the Governor and Health Dept. recommendations, until further notice.
Church staff are mostly working remotely. Pastoral care is via telephone (206.622.4865 *833) checked daily or email. If you have personal concerns, need to contact someone on staff or contact a minister: Click here for email addresses or call 206.622.4865, checked daily. Staff respond daily. Continue to our HOME PAGE by clicking the "X" in the upper right corner for priority information.